Australian boxing star Tim Tszyu’s world title fight is hanging in the balance after he was rushed to hospital following a dog bite.
Boxing: Tim Tszyu was at Blues Origin training, where the light middleweight champion says he is ready for his next fight, and would back an NRL player over an AFL one, inside the ring.
The Australian boxing star is scheduled to defend his WBO super welterweight title in just three weeks against Mexican Carlos Ocampo.
Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
The fight could now be scrapped with the 28-year-old Aussie requiring emergency surgery to his right arm following the incident, foxsports.com.au reports.
If the fight is to go ahead, Tszyu will get his shot at undisputed world champion Jermell Charlo this year if he emerges victorious.
The World Boxing Organisation has ordered Charlo to fight for his belts before September 30 against the winner of the clash between Tszyu and Ocampo.
Victory over Ocampo will give Tszyu his all-or-nothing shot at becoming undisputed world champion in what will be the biggest fight of the 28-year-old’s career.
“It’s massive. It’s the news we’ve been waiting on but again highlights just how big a risk Tim’s fight next month on the Gold Coast is,” No Limit chief executive George Rose, who handles Tszyu’s fights, said after hearing the news.
“If Tim’s loses, it’s over. No Charlo, no undisputed, no nothing.”
“After all the waiting and uncertainty, it’s crazy to think it’s Jermell Charlo who has the advantage. He’s prepping now and doesn’t have a world-class, tough Mexican in Carlos Ocampo trying to take everything away from him.
“Sunday, June 18, has just become a whole lot bigger. The stakes couldn’t be higher.
“His shot at undisputed depends on it.”
It will be the second time Tszyu, who won the interim WBO super welterweight title by defeating American Tony Harrison in March, will get a shot at Charlo if the fight goes ahead.
The pair were initially slated to fight at the start of the year in Las Vegas, but Charlo broke his hand and Tszyu booked the stoush with Ocampo on the Gold Coast on Sunday, June 18.
Charlo is yet to publicly confirm his availability and hasn’t fought since defeating Brian Castano in May last year.
No Limit Boxing CEO George Rose said in a statement that he was “shocked and worried” when the news broke.
“Like everyone, I was shocked and worried when I first heard the news,” Rose said.
“It’s certainly not the ideal preparation any time a fighter ends up in hospital a few weeks out from a world title fight but the best news right now is that Tim is doing okay.
“He has the best and most experienced team around him in world boxing. They have reassured me he’ll be more than ready on June 18 to take on Ocampo.
“If they’re confident, I’m confident.”
Tszyu’s manager, Glen Jennings, said he would be ready for the fight against Ocampo on June 18.
“Tim Tszyu was treated by the team doctor and surgeon on Saturday afternoon for a laceration on his right forearm,” Jennings said.
“The wound was superficial. The post surgical report is all good.
“There is no doubt that Tim will be ready and 100% healthy and focussed to take on Carlos Ocampo on June 18.”